Sunday, August 4, 2013

Humanizing Genderqueer 13: James

Humanizing Genderqueer: Lived experiences of non-binary people.

Gender Wins: Recall a happy memory of when you felt most comfortable in your gender or most accepted as your gender by those around you.

When I came out to a friend as genderqueer, she simply asked me about my preferred pronouns, rather than finding it strange, as I'd feared she might.

Another happy memory is when I bound (binded?) for the first time in public, and no one said anything, which was precisely what I was going for.

[Editor's note: spell check is telling me "bound" is correct. In case you're like me, and didn't know either.]

Gender Struggles: Tell about a time when circumstances would not allow, or you had to make sacrifices, to remain true to your gender.

Whenever someone misgenders me as female (which is all the time as I must present as female to a rather conservative crowd), I get super uncomfortable. I cannot say anything, as most people who misgender me would likely consider me a freak or "confused."

I'd also love for people to call me James as well as my given name, but I'm too afraid to actually do so.

Humanist Involvement: Suggest something the humanist community could do to make a positive impact on your personal quality of life.

Just getting the message out there that genderqueer people exist, and that we don't conform to any one type of gender presentation, so you never can quite tell who might be genderqueer.

How You Identify (optional): Name, age, gender, location, ethnicity, anything you deem relevant.

"James", 21, genderqueer, New Hampshire

Survey responses shared with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment